Game 1 Preview: 2018 champions Gatemen look to open 2019 campaign strong against Brewster
WAREHAM- The Cape Cod Baseball is back as the reigning champion Wareham Gatemen open up the 2019 season against the Brewster Whitecaps. First pitch is scheduled for 6:45 p.m. at Spillane Field.
The Gatemen finished in 1st place of the West Division with a record of 25-17-2 last season and it was a much different season for the Whitecaps. Brewster struggled in the East Division finishing with a record of 13-27-4. The standings told a different story than their matchups last season as Wareham was 2-2 against Brewster.
Some key Gatemen players are back this summer looking to win a second straight championship. Justin Foscue (Mississippi State) hit .329 this season in the SEC, Matt McLain (UCLA) is already a regular as a true freshman, and Adrian Del Castillo (Miami) remarkably hit .341 in his freshman season.
Brewster surprisingly made a nice run in the post season making it all the way to the East Division finals until ultimately falling to Chatham. The Whitecaps are bringing back 8 players from last season’s roster including pitcher Reid Detmers (Louisville) who put on a clinic in his second collegiate season leading the ACC with 113 strikeouts and making a case for ACC pitcher of the year. Jesse Franklin (Michigan) is also returning and lit it up behind the plate last season slashing .302 finishing second on the team in runs batted in last summer on the Cape.
It was nothing short of a magical run for the Gatemen in 2018 playoffs sweeping the Cotuit Kettleers Falmouth Commodores, and even the Chatham Anglers in the championship. Runs like that don’t happen often in any sport and you can expect a huge target to be on Wareham’s back this summer.
Here are today’s lineups:
- Matthew Rudick, CF - Sand Diego State
- Jacob Teter, 1B - Florida Southern
- Mike Antico, LF - St. Johns
- Kameron Guangorena, C - Cal State Fullerton
- DJ Poteet, RF - Wake Forest
- Chad Stevens, 3B - Portland
- Quentin Selma, DH - California Berkeley
- Sam Wezniak, SS - California Berkeley
- Darren Baker, 2B - California Berkeley
SP- Bryce Elder, Texas
- Cody Boulware, 2B - TCU
- Damon Dues, SS - Wright State
- Tyler Gentry, RF - Alabama
- TJ Collett, DH - Kentucky
- Eric Foggo, 1B - Stetson
- Noah Dickerson, LF - Stetson
- Dominc Toso, 3B - Bucknell
- Justin Crouch, C - UCF
- Brennan Reback, CF - Virginia Tech
SP- Cam Tringali - South Carolina