Update: Fire destroys Mattapoisett garage

Nov 15, 2013

Mattapoisett Fire and Police Departments responded to a garage fire at Long Plain Road around 5 p.m. Friday evening.

Initial emergency reports described the garage as being "fully engulfed."

Owner Jane Gagnon, who was not home when the fire began, said the cause of the fire is not certain and could have been caused by a light that burst inside the garage or a compressor outside. She stressed that there was no kerosene or other gas tank on the property. Gagnon said a full report on the incident should be available in seven days.

Running a hose from the nearest town fire hydrant one-quarter of a mile away, firefighters were able to stop the blaze before 6 p.m. Acushnet Fire and Rescue also responded to the incident.

A police officer on the scene said it was fortunate that the garage was not attached to the house; however, Gagnon said the side of her home did sustain some damage.