Planning Board reviews Rochester Crossing traffic study
Developers of a proposed combination gas station, convenience store and coffee shop to be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, are closer to receiving Planning Board approval for the business after addressing several concerns at the board’s Sept. 23 meeting.
The business is the first one proposed for a 30-acre commercial lot located between Cranberry Highway and Route 58. The Wareham-based company Rochester Crossing LLC owns the lot. Developers plan to attract big-box commercial retailers in the future.
Representatives from Colbea Enterprises first appeared before the board in June with the initial proposal for the gas station.
Through a series of public hearings, residents and board members expressed concerns related to traffic, drainage and motor vehicle access.
And after the board’s most recent meeting, it appears many of those issues have been addressed, including previously contentious talks on traffic.
“We had a pretty good, lively discussion the last time we talked about traffic,” Chair Arnie Johnson said.
The board pushed for Colbea Enterprises to incorporate a traffic island and ensure that cars exiting the property onto Route 28 turn right only for safety reasons.
Additionally, the board hired traffic engineer James Noyes of the Wilmington-based company Greenman-Pedersen to review Colbea’s traffic study.
According to Noyes, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation has the authority to dictate the development's entrance conditions – not the Planning Board.
“[Mass DOT] could come back and say they don’t want the island constructed in the driveway,” Noyes said.
“We can’t supersede the state. If they don’t want the island,” Johnson said. “They don’t want the island.”
In reviewing other aspects of the traffic study, Noyes said it appeared excessive traffic wouldn’t be a problem.
“Overall, the level of services in and out of the access drives, and the Route 58 intersection, is still very good,” Noyes said. He also noted that the road’s currently planned 24-foot width might be extended to 30 feet by the state, but he said that didn’t appear to be an issue in the short term.
Before the traffic discussion, the board was briefed on changes made to stormwater management, landscaping, signage and hours of operation. No abutters expressed concerns on any of those matters. Board members said they approved the changes.
The board unanimously voted to close the public hearing on the development and instructed Town Planner Mary Crain to draft a final decision to be voted on at the board’s Oct. 14 meeting.