Reduced state aid could affect ORR budget

May 9, 2013

With the state’s chapter 70 local aid to schools up in the air, the Old Rochester Regional School Committee is working on a contingency plan for the budget that may include staff cuts.

The committee budgeted $2,619,391 for the aid, the figure passed down from the state. As the house and senate do a tug of war over the state budget, however, that number has been reduced by almost $467,000.

“We’re anticipating that it’s not going to go down any more. There could be a potential of a small increase,” said the district’s Business Administrator Catherine Antonellis.

At the school committee’s meeting on Wednesday night, members discussed how to deal with the shortfall.

Adding more school choice slots, which provide $5,000 for each out of district student, was one way to add revenue to the school.

“Historically 15 to 20 students have been accepted to vocational schools,” said High School Principal Mike Devoll. “This year it’s closer to 40.”

Originally, Devoll had anticipated 190 students in next year’s freshman class, but he said that number would be around 173 now.

“I believe we have the ability to take on 20 school choice students that I thought we didn’t have last month,” he said.

The committee voted to approve 20 additional students, who will be spread throughout the four grade levels.

The remaining amount, at the suggestion of Superintendent Doug White, was to use a combination of budget cuts and money from the Excess and Deficiency Fund, which has a current balance of $831,965.

“I would suggest you don’t take any action on reducing the budget number, but give us some guidance about how much E and D money you would be willing to give,” said White, noting that the district should see a final number on aid in June.

The committee approved the use of $499,179 from the Excess and Deficiency Fund – equal to three percent of the budget. The remaining $143,238 shortfall would have to come from cuts to support staff, said White.