Rochester School Committee: Selectmen's 'disrespect' unwarranted

Sep 6, 2013

A battle of the boards erupted in Rochester as School Committee members said Selectmen accusations on district spending are “inappropriate” and “irrelevant.”

On Thursday, Chair Michelle Cusolito responded to complaints leveled in August by Town Administrator Rich LaCamera regarding district spending habits.

“Recent events might lead citizens to believe that the Rochester School Committee reports to the Board of Selectmen,” Cusolito said. “This is not true.”

LaCamera had said the committee’s decision to fund full-day kindergarten warranted discussion with Selectmen.

Up to this year, the school offered half-day kindergarten for free and required $2,400 in tuition per child for the full day.

With that vote, all kindergarten students can attend free of charge, which will cost an additional $46,592 for the school year.

Selectmen and finance committee members questioned the school committee’s approval of the full day program, saying they were not informed about the change during a joint meeting in March.

LaCamera also wanted details on other financial policies, including how officials handle special education reimbursements from the state and the “on-going problem” of unemployment claims.

Reading from a letter, Cusolito said her committee is the sole authority on school spending once the district's budget is approved at Annual Town Meeting. She said Massachusetts state law prohibits Selectmen and the finance committee from limiting the school board’s ability to spend those funds.

She noted if more money is needed - above what was approved at Town Meeting - the town would be notified.

Ideally, she said all town boards should work together.

“That has become increasingly difficult, however, when the Board of Selectmen continues to disrespect our committee by discussing school business at Selectmen meetings and airing complaints through the press,” Cusolito read.

The rift started after Selectmen heard about the kindergarten costs through local media. Selectman Richard Nunes said the board should have been notified of those talks.

In the letter, Cusolito noted Selectmen had no authority on that decision.

“Mr. Nunes’ stated concern that the kindergarten change was not brought before the town finance committee or the town administrator to determine a funding source is irrelevant,” she read.

Kindergarten discussions began in April after administrators presented a case for full day tuition.

In May, the committee learned the budget could absorb the cost, but waited until June to vote on the change.

Nunes also contended the committee broke state law by not properly advertising those meetings.

Cusolito said the accusation was “incorrect” and those meetings and agendas were publicly posted. Additionally, meetings are video-recorded and are available from ORCTV.

Ultimately, she said both boards are responsible to residents.

“Our vote to include full day kindergarten in the school budget is within the committee’s responsibilities and, we believe, in the best interest of the children and taxpayers of Rochester,” she read.

Later in the meeting, the committee addressed LaCamera’s other concerns.

Accusations that district bills are paid late were unfounded, said committee member Sharon Hartley. Two or three years ago that had been an issue, she said, adding that's not true today.

A meeting was set to address unemployment and workman’s compensation claims between town and district officials on Sept. 10.

White and his staff spent the last week researching the various matters.

Committee members praised the administrator’s work.

“Thank you all for your efforts to answer these questions,” said committee member Tina Rood. “Obviously, they were all reasonable responses.”

Committee member Tim Scholz agreed: “I think we’ve addressed the town’s concerns.”

To read Selectman Rich Nunes response to the issue, click here.