Update: Mattapoisett rolls out the red carpet for 'Patrick's Candy Pantry'

Jun 15, 2017

[Editor's note: This story is a follow-up to the original story "'The candy man' is taking up residence in Marion," published in the June 15 edition of Sippican Week.]

Patrick Kelly's new candy store "Patrick's Candy Pantry" is still set to open its doors on Friday, June 16, but following a cease and desist order from the Marion Zoning Board, he's opening shop in Mattapoisett.

On Wednesday afternoon, shortly after the original story on Patrick had gone to print, Marion's Building Commissioner approached Patrick's relative Brian Kelly with a cease-and-desist notice. According to Brian, the cease-and-desist was issued because the candy store is considered by the board to be a "fast food" restaurant, even though none of the food is prepared or re-heated on site.

Planning Board member Steve Kokkins clarified the situation. "The Building Commissioner ordered a cease-and-desist, he's the only one with the power to do that," he explained. "As far as I understand, the reason for the cease-and-desist had to do more with the overall plans for the building, including an ice-cream truck and outdoor seating, than just Patrick's store."

"The Planning Board is highly supportive of Patrick's endeavors," he continued.

Building Commissioner Scott Shippey is away on vacation, however Clerk Annemarie Tobia noted that he had served the cease and desist reluctantly. "To my understanding, there were no permits granted for food licensing and serving, nor was anyone made aware that it was happening. We have to treat all businesses the same, although it was not fun for anyone to do."

Brian said that Patrick was devastated at the notice, after nine months spent planning the business. "The candy is Reese's Pieces and candy bars, all wrapped and bought from a distributor" he added. He explained that the storefront was more about a chance for Patrick, who has autism, to socialize with others.

Luckily, Mike and Kate Sudofsky, owners of The Ropewalk, offered a hand in the nick of time.

Now, "Patrick's Candy Pantry" will open up shop in The Ropewalk, in Mattapoisett. "The Sudofskys were wonderful," Brian said. "They offered us space right away and even waived the rent for the first month."

The Ropewalk is even taking in the 1960s-style ice cream truck which struggled to find a permanent home in Marion. Marion officials had previously halted the permanent stationing of the truck at Rooney's Barbershop, stating that the location needed a license to sell food before the truck could stay there.

Now the ice cream truck will move with Patrick to The Ropewalk. "Mattapoisett really rolled out the red carpet for us," Brian said enthusiastically. "They were happy to help out."