Eversource employee alerts Marion firefighters to carbon monoxide incident

Dec 28, 2023

MARION — On Tuesday, Dec. 19 Eversource employee Ed Gonet was working on Front Street in Marion, assessing damage caused by the previous day’s storm when he “noticed a generator running at a Front Street home that had power,” according to a press release from the town of Marion and Marion Fire Department. 

“There were really bad fumes and I saw a cord going into the house,” said Gonet in an Eversource Linkedin post. “The door was ajar and no one responded ... [I] just couldn’t leave without knowing if there was someone in there after smelling the fumes running into the home.”

Marion firefighters arrived at 9:21 p.m. and found the occupant was sleeping upstairs. Firefighters measured low levels of carbon monoxide inside the home, and determined there was a potential for levels to rise during the night. The generator was shut down and windows and doors were opened to vent the home, according to the press release. 

The resident was evaluated at the scene and declined transport to an area hospital.

"We are thankful that Mr. Gonet was in the right place at the right time this week and reacted quickly when he felt something wasn't right," said Marion Fire Chief Brian Jackvony. "His actions ensured we could respond to and resolve a carbon monoxide incident before it became a tragedy."

Added Marion Town Administrator Geoff Gorman, "We are grateful for our partnership with Eversource Energy and thank all of their team members, including Mr. Gonet, who work diligently during weather events to evaluate outages and ensure power is restored for our residents quickly and safely."

According to the press release, homeowners are reminded that a generator should always be placed outdoors facing away from doors, windows and vents. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and learn how to use a generator safely before an outage. Carbon monoxide alarms should also be installed on every level of the home and tested regularly. If a carbon monoxide alarm goes off or if someone suspects carbon monoxide exposure, get out of the house to get fresh air and immediately call 911.