Marion Sports damaged in fire
MARION — Marion Sports Shop was damaged in a fire in the early afternoon on March 31.
Firefighters from Marion, Mattapoisett, Rochester and Wareham responded to the fire, called in by the store’s owner, Frank Fletcher, at 12:22 p.m.
The fire came from an electrical meter on the side of the building, according to Marion Fire Chief Brian Jackvony. The fire spread within the walls of the building, and burned a hole through the side of the store.
Eversource cut power to the building, and the fire was knocked down around 1:15 p.m. The store was equipped with sprinklers, but because the fire was in the walls, they did not go off.
Firefighters removed shrubbery from the side of the shop and exposed much of the building’s south-facing wall, where a fan could be seen near the location of the burn hole.
No civilians or emergency personnel were harmed in the fire.