Smoke alarms credited with keeping house fire contained

Jan 17, 2022

MATTAPOISETT _ Working smoke alarms were credited with alerting residents to a fire on Hitching Post Road Monday morning, Jan. 17, before the blaze could spread, Mattapoisett Fire Department reported on social media. 

Homeowners were awakened by the sound of smoke alarms and discovered smoke inside the home.

When the first crew arrived at the scene, fire was discovered on the first floor of the home, primarily inside a wall, the department reported.

The fire was quickly contained and extinguished before it could extend to any other levels of the home.

The incident serves as a reminder of the importance of working smoke alarms, the department wrote. “Luckily, the alarms were working and the fire was found before it was much worse.’’