Carbon monoxide incidents rise in wake of storm

Mar 4, 2018

Residents are reminded to make sure their carbon monoxide alarms are working, after Mattapoisett's Fire Department said via a social media post that it had responded to three carbon monoxide alarms during the weekend storm.

The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning goes up during storms due to generator use. Generators emit carbon monoxide gas that can seep into houses.

The fire department said that all three carbon monoxide incidents were true threats, prompted by the use of generators. Readings of 175, 130 and 100 were found in the three houses affected.

Those running generators are advised to place them outdoors, 5-10 feet from a house, and facing away from any doors or windows. The generator should be kept dry. Appliances should be plugged directly into the generator.