Historical Society, local supporters preserve Marion General Store

Sep 15, 2018

MARION - The Sippican Historical Society, a small group of supporters and the Cheney family have forged a partnership to ensure the preservation of a piece of historical Marion.

The Cheney family owns the Marion General Store, and is working with the Historical Society and supporters to restore the exterior of the building, and to renovate the building’s structural support and electrical system.

The restoration project will be managed by members of the Historical Society’s General Store Committee: Jack Cheney, Whitney Cheney Wynne, Amy Cheney Spirito, Frank McNamee, Judy Rosbe, Charlie Larkin, David Croll and Hans Ziegler.

A Historic Preservation Restriction will also be placed in the deed to protect the exterior of the building.  There will be a right of first refusal granted to the Sippican Historical Society if the General Store is ever sold.  These restrictions will ensure the exterior of the building will always remain the same. 

The General Store was originally built in 1794 as a Congregational Meeting House.  It subsequently became the Village focus for spiritual, commercial and social life in Marion.     

The Cheney family has owned and operated the General Store since 1974, and it continues to be an important gathering spot and the center of the Village.