Regional trash district seeks new executive director amid financial troubles
The Carver, Marion and Wareham Regional Refuse Disposal Committee is seeking to hire a new full-time executive director amidst financial problems.
The district, which allows the three member towns to jointly contract with waste-to-energy facility SEMASS in Rochester, operates transfer stations in the three towns.
Members of the committee voted Wednesday night to approve a job description for the position to be posted in coming days.
The executive director position has remained vacant since February when the district severed ties with contractor Ray Pickles and his largely one-man consultancy, Moss Hollow Management. Since then, the town administrators of the three member towns have collectively overseen the committee.
Last week, the committee authorized up to $25,000 on a forensic audit of the district. At the same meeting, committee officials say that Pickles made an unauthorized payment of $19,000 while serving as executive director.
“I think we’re all in agreement that we should do something here to address this position,” chairperson Steve Cushing said at the outset of the meeting. “We have a couple of employees who are kind of just floundering around out there with really no guidance.”
After discussing the district’s needs, all members of the committee agreed that position should be full-time.
“It’s going to take a lot of time and a lot of effort and a lot energy to right the ship … and get things back to the way they should be running,” Marion Town Administrator Paul Dawson said.
Dawson said after the meeting that SEMASS will likely reimburse the towns for 75 percent of the executive director’s salary until 2020, when its agreement with the waste-to-energy facility expires. After that, “all bets are off.”