Giving thanks for a successful 'Bells of Remembrance'
To the Editor:
The Mattapoisett Woman’s Club is proud to report that the bells have begun ringing in honor of veterans! The first annual Bells of Remembrance took place at various churches throughout the South Coast. The bells rang for one full minute on November 11 at 11 a.m. in a moving tribute to our veterans.
There are so many people to thank for their resounding enthusiasm and efforts!
The pioneers of the project are:
- The Mattapoisett Congregational Church
- Center School in Mattapoisett
- The Marion Congregational Church
- The Rochester Congregational Church
- The Universalist Church in Fairhaven
- The Fairhaven Congregational Church
- The Fairhaven Town Hall
- St. Gabriel’s Episcopal Church in Marion
- The Wareham Congregational Church
- Grace Episcopal Church in New Bedford
- The Dartmouth Congregational Church
- Church of the Good Shepherd in Wareham
- St. Joseph’s Parish in Fairhaven
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Dartmouth
- St. Patrick’s Church in Wareham
- Tabor Academy
The project could have never been successfully launched without the help of so many people associated with these buildings. Whether you spent time simply passing the word about the project or whether you gave of your time to make sure the bells rang in one of the buildings, your contribution has not gone unnoticed and it is so appreciated! Even if your efforts this year did not result in the actual ringing of the bells, your support for the project is of great value.
It is impossible to name each individual and thank them appropriately for going above and beyond in this small space. However, we want to especially thank those who took time out of their day to arrive at a building and actually make the bells ring. Also, it is important to thank the members of the Mattapoisett Woman’s Club who posted announcements about the event around the South Coast and who attended the event in Mattapoisett. Thank you to attendees everywhere! Your support is heartwarming.
Of course, our real gratitude goes out to the veterans. We are so grateful for your service!
As the Mattapoisett Woman’s Club continues to work to bring this tradition to our area, we remain open to hearing from people everywhere who want to get involved. Pass the word for next year and don’t hesitate to contact us for more information! Call Mary O’Keefe at 508-758- 2801 or Lori Bardwell at 508-758-2164.
Mattapoisett Women's Club